Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant Virtual Museum

History of the Plant

  History of the Plant - Goodyear
 
In September 1952, Goodyear Tire & Rubber President E. J. Thomas and Board Chairman Paul Weeks Litchfield announced Goodyear’s entry into the atomic energy field to office and factory personnel assembled in Goodyear Theatre in Akron.
   
GOODYEAR ATOMIC TAKES OVER OPERATIONS

While construction continued, Goodyear Atomic’s (GAT) operator training program began. GAT sent key engineers and technicians to Oak Ridge and Paducah where they were taught how to run a gaseous diffusion plant. These men formed the basis of the training staff at Portsmouth. Lectures, workshops, models, motion pictures, and actual equipment were used to prepare future Portsmouth staff for going “onstream.”

In September 1954, Peter Kiewit Sons’ turned over the first production unit to Goodyear who placed it into operation and completed the first product withdraw. Goodyear would gradually take control of all of the plant buildings. On March 20, 1956 it was announced that the plant was in full operation, approximately six months ahead of the four years it was scheduled to take. The final cost of the plant was $750 million, an amazing $470 million less than the original estimated cost of $1.2 billion.

The plant’s production operation was an outstanding example of automation. Control was achieved through delicate instruments that are connected to operating equipment by means of tubing. More than 1,000 miles of tubing threaded throughout the plant and eventually ended in the control room. This allowed immediate detection on any malfunction such as a burned out motor, clogged barrier, broken compressor blade, increase in pressure, etc. Auxiliary services were crucial to the plant’s operations.

Many times, the plant was compared to a town because it had its own fire department, police force, hospital, sewage disposal, water sanitation, repair shops (including a fully functional garage), heating systems, and cafeteria.
 
HOME|HISTORY|PHOTOS|VIDEOS|LOCAL IMPACT|NEWS ARCHIVE|SOURCES|CONTACT US

PortsVirtualMuseum.org is operated and managed by Fluor-B&W Portsmouth for DOE

Site designed and maintained by Westside Media